Export Control Webinars is a service of Export Strategies, LLC, a trade compliance consultancy created by Felice Laird.
Felice has over thirty years’ experience helping companies comply with the US Export Administration and International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Felice specializes in transactional work, reviewing clients’ product lines to establish licensing requirements and then providing guidance on how best to deal with any government restrictions on export. Felice is a subject matter expert in encryption export controls and has helped both large and small firms navigate the complex restrictions on data security technologies.
Prior to becoming a consultant, Felice worked at the Department of Commerce in what is now the Bureau of Industry and Security. She also worked as an International Trade Analyst at the law firm of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton and Garrison and as an Export Compliance Administrator for GTE Corp (now Verizon).
Felice served on the encryption working group of the President’s Export Council Subcommittee on Export Administration (PECSEA), as well as serving as a PECSEA member during the Bush Administration. Felice is active in the National Council on International Trade and Development and TechAmerica’s Export Committee. She has a BA from the University of New Hampshire and a MS in International Business from the American University.
Consultant, Auditor and Trainer
- Services offered
- Commodity jurisdiction and product classification
- Transaction analysis and licensing determinations
- Training, auditing and developing internal compliance procedures
- Technology Control Plans
- Compliance manuals
- Strategic planning for supply chain optimization and foreign investment.
Representative consulting engagements
- Serving as: external ITAR/EAR/OFAC auditor for two major US defense aerospace contractors (2012-present)
- Subject matter expert in CFIUS investigation involving a Chinese buyer of a US computer company (2004)
- Primary liaison for two major US data security companies with the Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security and the NSA regarding export licensing and classification (1999- 2015)
- Due diligence support for US buyer of four semiconductor manufacturer targets for acquisition (2012-2017)
- Auditor of US sub of foreign EO/IR camera manufacturer (2015)
- Litigation consultant to a Chinese chemical company in a successor liability case involving unlicensed exports to Iran (2015)
- Product classification and classification trainer to two global specialty coating and chemical companies (2016)
- Advisor to non-US manufacturer seeking to implement an IT infrastructure using US origin hardware and software in an Iranian Joint Venture (2017)
- Technical consultant to US semiconductor company seeking to divest a subsidiary to Chinese buyers (2017)
- Technical consultant for CFIUS submission on behalf of Fortune 500 US corporation (2018)
- Advisor to a US start-up in the emerging field of photonics and neural network processors (2019)
Representative training engagements:
- In-house training for provider of defense services and equipment in Afghanistan on EAR and ITAR regulations (2012)
- Product classification training for two of the world's largest specialty coating and chemical companies (2014 and 2016)
- Focused training on US encryption export controls to a major US defense contractor (2016)
- Training and risk assessment for leading global standards testing service (2018)
- Webinar presenter, content developer and speaker. Subjects covered: Recordkeeping under ITAR and EAR, Encryption Controls and Encryption Classifications, Fundamentals of Product Classification, Export Compliance Audits, IT Security, Cloud Computing and Export Controls, Technology Export Controls.