Export Controls on Encryption: The Basics WEBINAR
Recorded: SEPTEMBER 30, 2020INSTRUCTOR: Felice Laird, Export Strategies, LLC
Webinar tuition: $150ON DEMAND: REGISTER NOW
US export controls on hardware and software using encryption remain one of the areas that can confound even the most experienced export compliance practitioner. This webinar will go through the basics of classifying items that could fall within Category 5 Part II of the Commerce Control List. We will also review export licensing requirements for these items, including NLR and License Exception ENC.
Designed for individuals with a working knowledge of the export regulations.
- General discussion of the present controls on commercial encryption technology, including an overview of recent regulatory changes and upcoming rules resulting from the 2018 Wassenaar Plenary
- Review of technical basics and the terminology used in the Cat. 5 Part II Technical Note regarding ‘cryptography for data confidentiality’
- Review of classification methodologies for items where information security is not the primary purpose
- The use of publicly available encryption code in creating software for commercial sale
- Understanding licensing authorities: NLR, ENC, and Export Licenses for products using encryption
- Recordkeeping and reporting requirements
- Outlook for future regulatory changes